sharp minimum in calculated curve

Linear (OLIGOMER), and non-linear (MIXTURE) analysis, singular value decomposition (SVDPLOT), addition of missing fragments (BUNCH, CORAL), analysis of flexible systems (EOM/RANCH & GAJOE), flexible refinement of high-resolution models (SREFLEX)
cmetrick

sharp minimum in calculated curve

#1 Post by cmetrick » 2017.07.18 22:41

Hi all,

My labmates and I have been seeing a strange characteristic in post processing experiments for unrelated proteins and haven't worked out the pattern yet. We see a sharp dip in the calculated SAXS curve not evident in experimental data. In my case, I study a protein made of two globular domains (with crystal structures) separated by an 80aa linker with unknown structure and binding characteristics. Below I have two fits from EOM for one data set processed with or without an input PDB file. The data is from the NTD+linker construct so the PDB is for the NTD.

No PDB

With PDB

I've see this in CORAL as well. Clearly it has to do with the inclusion of a PDB file, but I've used the same file with data for full length constructs and only seen "the dip" occasionally. Like I said, my lab mates have seen it in their data for very different proteins as well.

Has anyone see and/or sorted this before?

Thanks!

cmetrick

Re: sharp minimum in calculated curve

#2 Post by cmetrick » 2017.07.19 17:54

Update: My labmate has also seen this without putting in a crystal structure. Any hints?

AL
Administrator

Re: sharp minimum in calculated curve

#3 Post by AL » 2017.07.20 14:07

cmetrick wrote:We see a sharp dip in the calculated SAXS curve not evident in experimental data.
Probably the fit contains a negative point. This happens in some programs when it is not possible to obtain a decent fit.