Courses and workshops, new software releases
AL
Administrator

Course on solution scattering from biological macromolecules

#1 Post by AL » 2012.02.09 17:53

EMBO practical course on solution scattering from biological macromolecules
October 17-24, 2012
EMBL Hamburg

The course aims at young biochemists/biophysicists and researchers active in related structural methods with little or no experience in solution scattering. The course will cover basics of SAXS and SANS, instrumentation, data collection, modelling techniques and complementary use with other methods. The students are encouraged to bring their own samples to perform synchrotron solution scattering experiments on-site and the results will be used for practical tutorials and discussed on the last day of the course.
Tentative programme »

There will be an additional possibility for a combination of SAXS with sample optimization and crystallization experiments, supported by the EU program P-Cube. The selected participants will be offered the opportunity to send their samples in advance to the EMBL Hamburg high-throughput crystallization platform. Depending on the crystallization results, P-Cube may sponsor optimization of the sample conditions, use of the EMBL Sample Preparation and Characterization facility and more extensive SAXS experiments during the course. Please contact Rob Meijers for more information.

Registration deadline: July 31, 2012
There is no registration fee except the scientists from industry who will be required to pay a fee of €1000. Accommodation and subsistence are covered for accepted applicants.
Limited travel grants are available to selected participants coming from labs in countries in need of scientific strengthening. Travel support may also be offered for some of the P-cube sponsored participants.
The applications will be considered by a Selection Committee and the results of the selection procedure will be sent to applicants by email around September 1.
Last edited by AL on 2012.04.17 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

biosaxs.com

Sponsored by BIOSAXS: SAXS for nano- and biotechnology

#2 Post by biosaxs.com » 2012.03.19 18:58

BIOSAXS is now a co-sponsor of the EMBO course on solution scattering from biological macromolecules. We offer small angle X-ray scattering services and expertise for companies.

Ahmed.Sayed

the criteria and sample preparation

#3 Post by Ahmed.Sayed » 2012.03.29 23:40

what are the criteria of participant selection?
and can I bring my membrane protein sample in solution with detergent or lipid?

AL
Administrator

Re: the criteria and sample preparation

#4 Post by AL » 2012.04.03 17:30

Ahmed.Sayed wrote:what are the criteria of participant selection?
Preference will be given to applicants active in structural biology, mostly late PhD students and early post-docs with little or no experience in solution scattering, who are able to bring their own samples to perform synchrotron solution scattering experiments on-site. More senior scientists, depending on circumstances, could also participate. We also consider non-academic applicants.
Ahmed.Sayed wrote:can I bring my membrane protein sample in solution with detergent or lipid?
Unfortunately membrane proteins with detergent are not suitable. More on Sample requirements...

AL
Administrator

Registration deadline approaching

#5 Post by AL » 2012.07.25 13:19

The registration is closing in less than one week. Please double-check you application and make sure you provide a detailed description of your samples (if you plan to bring any).

PhD_fm

Re: Course on solution scattering from biological macromolec

#6 Post by PhD_fm » 2012.07.30 10:01

I m PhD students in Structural Biology and I am interested to go to this course. I have one questions, Are any grand for traveling or accomodation for this course?

thank you in advance.

Pablo.

AL
Administrator

Accommodation and travel support

#7 Post by AL » 2012.07.30 11:51